Starting today (March 17), the city of West University is shutting down all recreation programs for youths through seniors, closing some city facilities, canceling special events, and adjusting meeting schedules due to the COVID-19 virus global public health crisis.
Parks, playgrounds, basketball and tennis courts are open — for now — but city officials says they’re shuttering the Recreation Center, Community Building and Senior Services while closely monitoring federal and county directives for even broader actions.
Among the cancellations announced are the Outdoor Event Series of performances scheduled to begin April 3 and the Easter Spring Festival/Arbor Day planned for April 4.
West U’s website, westutx.gov has updated public safety information easily accessible from the home page, including a link to resources. Residents can also sign up for “Notify Me” to receive city alerts.
Here is the message from the city of West U about the changes starting today:
- All Parks & Recreation Programming (youth, adult & senior) will be cancelled until further notice.
- The West U Recreation Center, Community Building and Senior Service Center will be closed to the general public until further notice.
- Citizen Advisory Board Meetings in March will be rescheduled to April.
- Special Events – Easter Spring Festival and Outdoor Event Series are cancelled.
- Pavilion and deck rentals are cancelled until further notice.
- The City will exercise an abundance of caution and defer to the CDC and Harris County Health Department on when to resume program and reopen facilities.
- At this time, parks, playground, basketball and tennis courts remain open, but this is subject to change as the conditions warrant.