West University is gearing up to host thousands of runners who will be making their annual trek through the city on the route of the annual Chevron Houston Marathon Sunday morning (Jan. 19).
Street closings will run from about 6:15-11 a.m., and West U police are reminding residents that all vehicles should be removed from the streets before that time. Hoopla with a public address system and music will be part of the annual mayor’s breakfast at City Hall on University at Auden, which will be audible in surrounding neighborhoods.
With temperatures in the mid-40s and partial sun when the runners are due through the city, the usual crowd of residents is expected to cheer on the more than 20,000 runners.
Here are street closings in the West University-Bellaire-Museum District-Upper Kirby area:
- Kirby (southbound) from San Felipe to Bissonnet
- Bissonnet from Kirby to Montrose
- Mandell (southbound) from Bissonnet to Sunset
- Sunset from Mandell to Main St.
- Main St. to University Blvd.
- University Blvd. from Greenbriar to Weslayan (from University to Bissonnet)
- Weslayan (northbound) from Bissonnet to Westpark
- Westpark from Weslayan to 610 Service Rd. (all lanes closed except one westbound lane from Newcastle to 610/59 northbound feeder road)
- Newcastle from Westpark to I-69 Service Rd. (all lanes except one southbound lane of Newcastle)
More information on the race is available here.