Parents with children in Houston ISD will have to commit next week to sending them back to school starting Oct. 19 or continuing virtual instruction, and teachers have been told to report to campuses starting Oct. 12.
The district rolled out “Return Safely, Return Strong,” the next phase of its response to the COVID-19 pandemic, on Wednesday (Sept. 16).
- They were told to make their choice by filling out a form online from next Monday-Friday (Sept. 21-25) that will allow campuses to finalize plans for facilities, staffing and scheduling. They can do this by going to the “Forms” section of the HISD Connect Parent Portal.
- Their selection will be valid for the entire school year, according to the district, but there will be opportunities every six weeks to change their minds.
- If no choice is submitted, students will be counted as in-person learners — coming back to school.
- If more students’ families opt to return to each campus than can safely be accommodated, their return may have to be phased-in.
- The district’s more than 10,000 instructors have been working remotely but are now expected to return to their home campuses Oct. 12. They will conduct one final week of distance learning from school before starting classes with students present the following week.
- They are also being surveyed to see if they prefer to teach face-to-face — with safety protocols — or to provide distance learning, which could entail being transfered to a different campus or district facility. However, teachers will all be assigned to HISD facilities and no longer be working from home.
The principal at West University ES, Dr. Scott Disch, said administrators at his campus were working to provide additional details. “We recognize you have many questions that need to be answered before making an informed decision about returning to school in person, and we are working to get those answers for you.”
What’s your choice and why? Essentials would like to hear from you. Please post a comment below or email to Charlotte@EssentialsMagazines.com.